Seven



Purchase here...


I am currently engrossed in a life-changing book.

I could not tell you what will happen as a result.  I have no idea what is next.

For some time I have been praying for ways to be more intentional in my walk with Christ.  It's not enough for me to be a "good church girl," or a "good Pastor's wife."  I want a rock solid faith that reaches out further than my home.

I do believe that my first responsibility is to the family God has given me to nurture within my four walls.  But, I long for a faith that must go...must go to those around me and share compassion, love, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Wouldn't you believe that God led me to this book.  I ask for something deeper, something richer, something more meaningful, and God replies, "Read this, and hear what I have to say."

I'm listening.

I made the mistake of starting this book late at night when I should have been sleeping.  The introduction alone gripped my attention, and aided in prying my sleepy eyes open.  I was convicted after reading the first few pages.

Consider this passage from the introduction:

Jen Hatmaker writes, "...the Holy Spirit leveled us and laid our motives bare, we turned into crazy people, yada yada yada... we started a new church centered on justice... Our adventure in relearning the essentials of faith, Austin New Church, has been on the ground for two years.  It's a little faith community that has, quite simply, changed my life.  Our mantra is "Love your neighbor, serve your city."  Taking a cue from Francis Chan, we take the Scripture 'love your neighbor as yourself' seriously, and we give away half of all we receive.  We won't spend more on ourselves than our poor neighbor... we won't buy carpet at the expense of orphans.  $10,000 for a new parking lot could fund a hundred thousand tree seedlings to reforest Africa's decimated land and stimulate their local economy.  It's kind of a no-brainer."

My life has become so centered on materialism.  I never intended for that to happen.  I never intend on staying in my nice little comfort zone.  This kind of selfishness can creep in so slowly that we don't even notice it taking over every part of our existence.

I grew up so simply.  I was a missionary kid with just enough, but never alot.  We lived a life of service.  I'm used to pushing out of my comfort zone.  And yet, I know there is so much more.  I want God to use my humble attempts to make much of His name.

People are hopeless. People are dying. People need the Jesus that lives in my heart.

How can I continue to allow my pursuit of the "perfect life" get in the way of introducing the world to a "perfect God?"

The back of the book describes what Jen Hatmaker felt compelled to do which led to the writing of this inspiring tale.

"Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress. Jen and her family would spend thirty days on each topic, boiling it down to the number seven.  Only eat seven foods, wear seven articles of clothing, and spend money in seven places. Eliminate use of seven media types, give away seven things each day for one month, adopt seven green habits, and observe "seven sacred pauses." So, what's the payoff from living a deeply reduced life? It's the discovery of a greatly increased God -- a call toward Christ-like simplicity and generosity that transcends a social experiment to become a radically better existence. 7's funny, raw, and not a guilt trip in the making, so come along and consider what Jesus' version of rich, blessed, and generous might look like in your life."

Sounds extreme, doesn't it?  It's such a different version of "fasting" than I had ever heard of.  I've made it to month 3 (Possessions) in my reading.  I have been challenged, convicted, and changed already.  God is using this book to shake my materialistic mindset up.

I'm thankful for God's redemptive hand in my life.  His love and faithfulness is ruining me for the ways of this world.  His ways are higher...

All praise to His name.

Comments

Popular Posts